Current Injection Testing
Current injection testing is performed on both large and small earthing systems to determine touch voltages, step voltages, earthing system impedance, Earth Potential Rise (EPR) and current distribution.
PowerEarth Technologies utilises state-of-the-art test equipment and a meticulous test method to provide the most accurate and reliable earthing system testing services available. Our large 8kW current source ensures even the largest interconnected earthing systems associated with power stations and desalination plants can be accurately tested.
PowerEarth Technologies utilises a highly refined low-current off-frequency current injection test method. With the use of highly sensitive test instruments and CDEGS engineering software our current injection test method has the following advantages:
- Increased safety.
- No down-time. Substations can remain in service during testing.
- Complex earthing system impedance can be measured.
- Complex current distribution in any metallic earth return paths such as cable screens and overhead earth wires can be measured.
- High accuracy. Correction computer modelling using CDEGS software can be carried out to account for inductive and capacitive coupling associated with test leads.
PowerEarth Technologies provides earthing system testing services for applications including:
- Substation commissioning testing
- Routine earthing system testing
- Routine lightning protection earthing system impedance verification
- Australian Standard and due diligence electrical system safety audits
- Signal and telecommunications earthing system EPR evaluations
Soil Resistivity Testing
PowerEarth Technologies uses high-power portable soil resistivity meters for all geophysical prospecting. Depending on local terrain, both Wenner and Schlumberger arrays are utilised.
All soil resistivity test data is processed using CDEGS software to obtain the multi-layer soil model.